Payments & Collections


Payments may be made with cash, check, or money order.  If you wish to pay your fine without a hearing, you may come into the court within 15 days of issue and sign a payment agreement for the balance. You may be eligible for a 60-day payment agreement. Any agreement beyond 60 days must be arranged through Signal Credit Management Services (SCMS) at (800) 874-1958.



If your account was forwarded to collections, you may contact AllianceOne at (800) 456-8838 or visit their website. If you have a suspended license due to unpaid tickets, you may be eligible for a re-licensing program. Contact Allied Credit for more information.