- Feature Links
- Permit Center
PLANNING, BUILDING AND PUBLIC WORKS BUILDING CLOSURE
October 20, 2020 update
As a precautionary measure, and consistent with King County and State Departments of Health, the City is taking every precaution to limit the exposure and protect the citizens, the City and its staff. For these reasons the following City Facilities are closed to in-person visits until further notice:
PLANNING, BUILDING & ENGINEERING SERVICES
Planning/zoning, engineering and general inquiries will be answered via phone or email:
Due to the current public health emergency, all City of Des Moines Departments are closed to public access.
COVID-19 Information and Statistics
Note: Our inspection schedule may be impacted. We are working hard to accommodate our customers as scheduling allows. Please help us by being ready for your inspection and observing all safety protocols. We will be re-evaluating these procedures as new information becomes available, please check the website for the latest information.
All Building, Development and Engineering Services fees will increase effective January 1, 2020.
CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS
There will be a 3.5% service fee on all credit card transactions effective January 1, 2020.
- apply for - residential re-roof/electrical/plumbing/mechanical permit | right-of-way permit
- check the status of an existing permit - building (BLD) permits | engineering (ENG) permits
- schedule an inspection - building (BLD) permits | engineering (ENG) permits
- view scheduled inspections - building (BLD) permits | engineering (ENG) permits
Email all application submittals for any type of Building permit, Commercial Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing permits, and Fire permit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email all Land Use and Sign permit applications to DMplanning@desmoineswa.gov.
- Building Permits - Application and informational handouts for building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, demolition and fire prevention permits.
- Sign Permits - Application and informational handouts relating to the requirements and restrictions for business signage.
- Land Use Permits - Application and informational handouts for land use permits including site plan review, environmental review, critical areas review, subdivisions, shoreline permits, etc.
- Construction Codes - Codes adopted by the City of Des Moines.
- Inspection Instructions - Contact information and how to call in inspections.
- Parcel Numbers - Property parcel numbers can be found by using the city's GIS maps, searching King County's Parcel Viewer, or calling the Permit Center at (206) 870-7576.
- Records Requests - If you would like information on a past or current project, you can submit a Public Record Request.
- Right-Of-Way Permits - Application and informational handouts relating to the requirements for right-of-way permits.
- Transportation Impact Fees - Fee schedule and informational handouts relating to the transportation impact fee program.