- Feature Links
- Permit Center
NOTICE: You must have current 2021 City of Des Moines business license to apply for a permit.All 2020 City of Des Moines business licenses expire on 12/31/2020. If you do not have a current 2021 City business license, please go www.desmoineswa.gov/bl to apply or renew your business license before applying for a permit. For general business license information, go to the Business License page.
CODE CHANGE NOTIFICATION:
The 2018 editions of the state building codes will become effective on February 1, 2021. All applicants intending to follow the 2015 editions of the state building codes must submit valid and complete application documents prior to NOON Friday January 29, 2021.
PLANNING, BUILDING AND PUBLIC WORKS BUILDING CLOSURE
October 20, 2020 update:
As a precautionary measure, and consistent with King County and State Departments of Health, the City is taking every precaution to limit the exposure and protect the citizens, the City and its staff. For these reasons the following City Facilities are closed to in-person visits until further notice:
PLANNING, BUILDING & ENGINEERING SERVICES
Planning/zoning, engineering and general inquiries will be answered via phone or email:
Due to the current public health emergency, all City of Des Moines Departments are closed to public access.
COVID-19 Information and Statistics
Note: Our inspection schedule may be impacted. We are working hard to accommodate our customers as scheduling allows. Please help us by being ready for your inspection and observing all safety protocols.
We will be re-evaluating these procedures as new information becomes available, please check the website for the latest information.
Welcome to the City of Des Moines Permit Center! Our staff are here to assist with the process of application, review, issuance, and inspection of proposed land use and construction activities that require permits and to answer questions about code requirements.
City offices are closed at this time. Permit applications are accepted and issued electronically between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Staff is available to answer questions by phone or email until 4:30 pm.
AllBuilding, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing and Re-roof permit applications must be submitted through our MyPermits Online portal. For permit applications that require review, you will be asked to upload the relevant permit application and all required documents during the online application process. Please use the Electronic Plan Requirements found HERE for your submittal.
Email all application submittals for Fire permit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email all Land Use and Sign permit applications to DMplanning@desmoineswa.gov.
- Building Permits - Application and informational handouts for building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, demolition and fire prevention permits.
- Sign Permits - Application and informational handouts relating to the requirements and restrictions for business signage.
- Land Use Permits - Application and informational handouts for land use permits including site plan review, environmental review, critical areas review, subdivisions, shoreline permits, etc.
- Construction Codes - Codes adopted by the City of Des Moines.
- Inspection Instructions - Contact information and how to call in inspections.
- Parcel Numbers - Property parcel numbers can be found by using the city's GIS maps, searching King County's Parcel Viewer, or calling the Permit Center at (206) 870-7576.
- Records Requests - If you would like information on a past or current project, you can submit a Public Record Request.
- Right-Of-Way Permits - Application and informational handouts relating to the requirements for right-of-way permits.
- Transportation Impact Fees - Fee schedule and informational handouts relating to the transportation impact fee program.
- apply for - residential and commercial building/electrical/plumbing/mechanical permit | right-of-way permit
- check the status of an existing permit - building (BLD) permits | engineering (ENG) permits
- schedule an inspection - building (BLD) permits | engineering (ENG) permits
- view scheduled inspections - building (BLD) permits | engineering (ENG) permits